Friday 31 October 2008

Tulip Fever by Deborah Moggach.

Ahh I bet you guys are thinking, "hasn't she had enough of blogging for one day?!" Hmm.. The answer is.. NO. Well I’ve been itching to write about this book only because I finished reading it the other day so everything is still fresh in my mind.

Did anyone know that Oxfam is ACE for second-hand books? Trust me, it's the one. I found about 5 really good books all for 99p each and in excellent condition. I guess it was a blatant sign to 'READ MORE'.

Out of the 5 I bought, straight away I got stuck into a book called Tulip Fever. It is set in Amsterdam during the 1630's. I can understand that it can be a slight put off, but it doesn't so much focus on it's surroundings, but more on the characters and paintings throughout the book.

The book contains illustrations which makes it an even more pleasant read. I'm not sure how many people have actually read this book, but after reading it, you really start appreciating the meaning of love in your life.

A brief outline of the story is that a young painter in the city Jan Van Loos is appointed to paint a portrait of the city’s most richest couple.. Sophia Sandvoort and Cornelis Sandvoort. During that time, the painters are all busy as the city's inhabitants intend to guarantee their immortality by getting their portraits painted. As the painter, Jan Van Loos, starts to capture Sophia’s likeness on his canvas, a slow passion begins to burn. Relations start building up between the two and it finally finishes with a tragic end all down to a single tulip bulb.

As weird as that sounds, it’s a great and exciting book to read. You get hooked on it and just can’t help but read on and on. A brilliant story built up with a series of thrilling events. I think it’s best if you grab yourself a copy {preferably like I did, 99p from Oxfam} or even on ebay, then let me know what you think!

Au revoir pour maintenant..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey hey HEY
Wow 99p for a book is a BARGIAN and a half!! Im deff gona check that book out when i get some time.

But while we're on the subject of books...and furthermore 'love' i'd like to bring to everyones attention to a book called Twilight. It's about this girl who risks everything as she falls in love with a vampire! Technically the book is aimed for teens but its a really good read! The BBc have said that its gona 'Fill the Harry Potter Gap'

It's currently being made into a movie which is to be released in December.

Looks like we shud all get in the mood for LOVE before xmas :)

Peace People
xxxx Zohra xxxx

* said...

aha :) nice one. think i may just have to grab a copy from you ;) and i'll give you tulip fever to read, you'll love it!