Friday 26 December 2008

Boxing Day Madness

I've never really been a Boxing Day shopper, after quite determinedly stuffing my face each and every Christmas day, it always seemed way too much effort to drag myself around a shopping centre with 100s of other desperate shoppers, tryna to find anything that would justify the extra effort for the outing...

But this year, I decided to. Maybe it was the lack of presents on Christmas day (two) or maybe it was due to the fact that I had seen so much that I wanted while Christmas shopping for other people earlier on, but I decided to do the deed.

Was quite a hilarious experience actually. I was in Birmingham City Centre for 9am in the morning. The most part of town was shut, and wasn't going to open until 10am, but Rackhams was open, shame I couldn't find anything...

I've never been in one of those positions where you queue outside a shop for the opening, to see whoever/whatever is drawing the crowd that day. But as me and my brother worked our way through town, silently making our battle plans we saw more than one shop with a decent amount of people queuing outside.

This brought a sense of panic to me, "why are they queueing outside THAT shop? am i missing out on something here? maybe i should be queuing outside there as well!" That tense sales mentality, where you just HAVE TO COME BACK WITH SOOOMETHING!

But anyways, I held my patience and got to New Look (I had checked on the website the day before to see what badboys I could pick up) only to find a queue outside there as well.

The atmosphere was so tense, everyone's waiting for them to open the shutters, inching themselves closer and closer to the door, it was like waiting for a bus, but EVEN MORE tense. But when you think about it, it's so dumb, what's the likelihood that the lady standing next to you with the slight limp is going to grab the EXACT same bargains as you...c'aaamooorrrn. What kinda foolishness...?

When the shutters opened up, everyone surged forward as if they were getting everything for free, then promptly stopped to congregate around the racks about 5 feet into the shop. I was hihgly irritated by now, but I managed to pick up exactly everything that I wanted. First picks is definitely worth getting up early for...

Along with some beautiful bargains, I managed to pick up these sexy (but full priced shoes)...I now stand at a comfortable 6'2" :D



I managed to come away at 12.30pm, unbruised, with my sanity and health, and still with some money in my pocket.
I didn't get everything I went out for - which reminds me, top sales tip MAKE A LIST OF WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING FOR, that way you will not get sidetracked, way-laid or end up spending too much on something that you didn't really want or need in an effort to justify your attempt at sales shopping!! - and I still came back with some notes in my pocket.

My first attempt at real Boxing Day sales shopping has been a success, I'm proud of myself.

Now it's back to the food, cake and icecream...

Happy Christmas and & Merry New Year to you all...

No comments: